Spring 2020 Registration is Open!
In response to COVID-19, all classes have been moved online for the spring. Additionally, in the hopes of alleviating any possible stress or burden, we are offering payment plans for every course offered during the spring session. Payment will be broken into three amounts, due before the first, fourth, and final session.If you are interested in a payment plan, select the class you would like to take and click the “Pay Later Option.” You will then need to contact our Theater Manager Glenn at email@example.com in order to make payment arrangments.
Spring sunshine is just around the corner, and with the approach of the equinox come our Spring Term Classes! Want to write the next big musical? Sitcom? Science Play? We have a class tailor made for every writer and every style! Have your writing workshopped and seen this Spring; take the leap and join us here at Chicago Dramatists.
Click one of these buttons to look at what classes we have in Playwriting, Screenwriting, Musical Writing, and Performance or you can look through our remaining Winter Courses followed by a list of every Spring Course in chronological order!
Please Note: Network Playwrights receive $25 off all class registrations, but you must be logged into your account for the discount to be applied. This also includes discounts for Resident Playwrights and Tutterow Fellows. You will be prompted to login when attempting to register. If you do not know how to get into your account, enter the email associated with your account under “Forgot Your Password” and an account reset will be sent.
7 Wednesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Mar 04 – Apr 15
In this seminar, we will learn the rules of the game from some of the most brilliant ten-minutes plays ever written. And then, we’ll get to play in order to follow and/or break those rules.
6 Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm
Mar 14 – Apr 18
Led by award-winning musical theatre writer Cheryl Coons, “Musical Theatre: the Secret Life of the American Musical” guides students through the rich inner workings of the American Musical.
Mar 28 10:00am – 5:00pm
Mar 29 2:00pm – 5:00pm
This weekend workshop offers a boot camp in the nuts and bolts essentials of writing for the visual medium of film. We will deep dive into how to think and write visually, with less emphasis on pushing the story forward through dialog and more through action.
7 Tuesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Mar 24 – May 05
This course will gather together playwrights with projects in various forms of completion, from partial scenes and outlines, to rough and/or completed drafts. Each student will further explore, expand and develop their plays through in-class readings, discussion, and assignments.
7 Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm
Apr 04 – May 30
This class is for anyone who has an idea (any genre) that could make a great series and who wants to learn the crucial basics of how to write it. We will study and analyze successful pilots to learn the form and craft of writing for television.
7 Mondays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Apr 20 – Jun 01
In this special one-time class, playwrights will be given the tools improvisors use to access their creative imaginations right away, breathe dynamic life into characters, and bravely follow a story into unknown places.
Chicago Dramatists Class Fee Policies
- If you cancel your registration more than three weeks in advance of the class start date, you will be entitled to either a full refund of your money or a full credit applied to your account for future CD classes.
- If you cancel your registration less than than three weeks but more than ten days before the class start date, you will be entitled to a full credit applied to your account (minus a $20 administrative fee). However, there will be no refunds.
- If you cancel your registration fewer than ten days but more than three days before the class start date, you will be entitled to 50% of your class fee (minus a $20 administrative fee) applied to your account as a credit.
- If you cancel your registration less than three days before the class start date, there is unfortunately neither a credit nor refund option available.
- Failure to pay fee or arrange payment schedule within 48 hours of registration will result in cancellation of registration.
- Classes that fail to meet the 50% minimum registrant requirement within 48 hours of class start time will be cancelled. In this case, registrants will receive a 100% refund.
- Separate discounts cannot be combined.