Bring your story to the stage.
Learn the art and craft of this time-honored form. Enrich your writing and hone your playwriting tools, with one of our many courses. Writers are afforded the opportunity to collaborate with actors, dramaturgs, and directors: leaders in the field of dramatic storytelling. Come to class, and bring your story to the stage.
Choose the class that suits you and click on the class’s name to go to the details page.
Please Note: Network Playwrights receive $25 off all class registrations, but you must be logged into your account for the discount to be applied. This also includes discounts for Resident Playwrights and Tutterow Fellows. You will be prompted to login when attempting to register. If you do not know how to get into your account, enter the email associated with your account under “Forgot Your Password” and an account reset will be sent.
Any questions may be sent to Glenn B. Rust at email@example.com
7 Thursdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm Jan 16 – Mar 19
7 Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm Jan 18 – Mar 21
Self-contained weekly sessions offer character, scene, and story tools to help you write and revise your script, professional actors to read the work you bring from home, and constructive group feedback in a supportive setting. Click on either of the links above to registered for your preferred day of the week!
Both sessions of this class have sold out, but you can still sign up for the waitlist!
6 Mondays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Jan 20 – Feb 24
Culture Bending is built on the belief that the stories we tell don’t just reflect our culture, they shape it. Starting with interactive, intersectional, exercises, we examine our culture and our place in it.
7 Tuesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Jan 21 – Mar 03
What does it take to have a sustainable writing practice? In this generative seminar, we open your writing potential not only to theater plays, but also to fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and hybrid practices.
7 Wednesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Jan 22 – Mar 04
This is a workshop for writers who want to develop a script on which they have already begun work. This may include anything from a full-length play to a one-act play to a series of short plays with the goal being to ready their plays for production.
Feb 08 & Feb 09 10:00am – 4:30pm
This workshop asks participants to consider their solutions to the most urgent social concerns of our time and create dramatic interventions that provoke and inspire.
7 Wednesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Mar 04 – Apr 15
In this seminar, we will learn the rules of the game from some of the most brilliant ten-minutes plays ever written. And then, we’ll get to play in order to follow and/or break those rules.
Chicago Dramatists Class Fee Policies
- If you cancel your registration more than three weeks in advance of the class start date, you will be entitled to either a full refund of your money or a full credit applied to your account for future CD classes.
- If you cancel your registration less than than three weeks but more than ten days before the class start date, you will be entitled to a full credit applied to your account (minus a $20 administrative fee). However, there will be no refunds.
- If you cancel your registration fewer than ten days but more than three days before the class start date, you will be entitled to 50% of your class fee (minus a $20 administrative fee) applied to your account as a credit.
- If you cancel your registration less than three days before the class start date, there is unfortunately neither a credit nor refund option available.
- Failure to pay fee or arrange payment schedule within 48 hours of registration will result in cancellation of registration.
- Classes that fail to meet the 50% minimum registrant requirement within 48 hours of class start time will be cancelled. In this case, registrants will receive a 100% refund.
- Separate discounts cannot be combined.