Open to playwrights of every level, the Network Playwright Program is available to any writer who has the desire to advance their skills, plays, and careers, through a vibrant professional development program. With a wide array of opportunities to have your newest play read, critiqued, and presented to the public, the Network Playwright Program is a wonderful next step in the career of any dramatic writer.
- Saturday Reading Series: As a part of the Saturday Series, 7 – 10 spots will be reserved specifically for Network talent. Selected playwrights will have their full length plays presented at the Russ Tutterow Theater.
- Ten Minute Play Festival: This is one of our newest programs designed for Network Members. This staged reading of 10-minute plays will be comprised entirely of Network writers and will premiere on the Russ Tutterow stage. The plays will be helmed by professional directors and presented by professional actors. The festival will be held on Saturday and Sunday July 11 – 12.
- Script Lab Critiques: Members may submit 1 play to be critiqued and reviewed by a Resident playwright, a Resident alum, or other theatre professional. This is a direct, efficient way to get the feedback you need, to take your script to the next level. Work must be submitted for critique before being eligible for selection as a part of the Saturday Reading Series. Network Members who wish to submit a script for Script Lab should email it directly to Ean Miles Kessler, the Network Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email include the title, genre, a brief synopsis, and a short history of the play. (What draft is the play currently at? Has it been workshopped previously? Where in your process do you feel you are with this piece?)
- First Draft Series: These bi-monthly meetings allow Network members to read and critique each other’s work, while guided by a theater professional. These readings are a tremendous opportunity to have your work seen and read by the Network community and to invite guests. Meetings are held in the Russ Tutterow Theater on the second and fourth Monday of the month. The public is also invited to hear First Draft readings.
- Discounts & Free Admission: Members receive numerous discounts, including $25 off classes and other services (including room rentals for rehearsal space or table reads!) Network members can also attend certain Chicago Dramatists events at no cost.
- Social Events & Networking Opportunities: Join in at get-togethers, parties, and other social events. There will be social mixers where Network members will meet and mingle. We’ll invite other theater professionals, (directors, dramaturgs, actors, and more), in the hopes of fostering collaboration and fresh projects.
Current Network Members
Click the button below to view our current listed of Network Playwrights! (more information will be added soon)
Network Membership opens again on March 30. We will be accepting another 50 members at that time, capping the total number of writers at 100. Be sure to sign up and secure your spot!
Any questions about the Network Playwright Program should be directed to our Network Director, Ean Miles Kessler. Fill out the contact form below, and he will be sure to respond as soon as possible.