Open to playwrights of every level, the Network Playwright Program is available to any writer who has the desire to advance their skills, plays, and careers, through a vibrant professional development program. With a wide array of opportunities to have your newest play read, critiqued, and presented to the public, the Network Playwright Program is a wonderful next step in the career of any dramatic writer. See below for a list of perks, cost, and how you can sign up.
- Saturday Reading Series: We are slowly in the process of bringing back Saturday Series, by holding events online via Zoom. To that end, we have reserved 7 – 10 spots specifically for Network talent. While Saturday Series will be in a limited capacity due to COVID, we look forward to showcasing our Network writers! All scripts that go through Script Lab become eligible for a Saturday Series reading. See below on how to submit.
- Network Playwright 10 Minute Play Reading Festival: Chicago Dramatists is proud to present our first Network Playwright 10 Minute Play Reading Festival, on September 12 at 2pm! This is one of our newest programs designed for Network Members. This reading will be held via Zoom, and is comprised of six 10-minute plays, written by Network members. The plays will be helmed by professional directors and presented by professional actors. Stay tuned for details and the link for the event!
- Script Lab Critiques: Members may submit 1 play to be critiqued and reviewed by a Resident playwright, a Resident alum, or other theatre professional. This is a direct, efficient way to get the feedback you need, to take your script to the next level. Work must be submitted for critique before being eligible for selection as a part of the Saturday Reading Series. Script Labs must be submitted within the term of your membership. Should a non-Network member wish to purchase a Script Lab, they may do so at an additional cost. In the same vein, if Network Members would like to submit additional scripts (beyond the 1 free Script Lab they receive per year), they may do so at a discounted price. We have a wide range of Readers who evaluate scripts, and do our utmost to match Playwrights with a Reader who we believe is a proper “fit” for that given piece. Please know that different Readers, like different Playwrights, have different approaches and aesthetics when evaluating work. All of our Readers are professionals and highly skilled, and their feedback is of the highest quality. Network Members who wish to submit a script for Script Lab must fill out the submission form below.
- First Draft Series: These bi-monthly meetings allow Network members to read and critique each other’s work, while guided by a theater professional. These readings are a tremendous opportunity to have your work seen and read by the Network community and to invite guests. Meetings are held in the Russ Tutterow Theater on the second and fourth Monday of the month. The public is also invited to hear First Draft readings. Please visit the First Draft page for details on how you can take part.
- Discounts & Free Admission: Members receive numerous discounts, including $25 off classes and other services (including room rentals for rehearsal space or table reads!) Network members can also attend certain Chicago Dramatists events at no cost. From time to time, Chicago Dramatists’ offers a discount on select classes. When that occurs, Network members are able to combine that discount on a given class, with their Network Discount (of $25) for extra savings!
- Social Events & Networking Opportunities: While social events are currently on-hold, we plan to leap into them full-force once we have resumed meeting in person. Our aim is to hold get-togethers, parties, mixers, and other social events where Network members will meet and mingle. We’ll invite other theater professionals, (directors, dramaturgs, actors, and more), in the hopes of fostering collaboration and fresh projects.
Join Or Renew Today!
The Network Playwright Program is one of the founding pillars of Chicago Dramatists. And now it’s never been easier to join or renew your membership. Click the buttons below to be taken to the appropriate page.
Important: If you’ve taken a class or program with us before, please be sure to log in to your account before joining, re-joining, or renewing your Network Membership. If this is your first time with Chicago Dramatists, and you don’t have an account yet, by joining Network the system will walk you through setting up an account.
Cost And Payment Plans
Network Membership costs $350 per year for residents living in the Chicago-land area. For those living 100 miles or more outside of the Chicago-land area, the yearly cost is $250. For this yearly fee, you’ll receive all of the perks above, and the backing of a vibrant and dynamic community of writers.
Script Lab Submissions
Network Members who would like to submit a script for Script Lab will need to fill out the submission form, found at the link below. Writers should note that every Script Lab Reader has a different methodology to their critiquing process. All Readers are accomplished dramatists, and have a long-standing history with our company, and we encourage this wide array of techniques used by our Script Lab Readers when evaluating work.
Work submitted for Script Lab become eligible for a Saturday Series Reading. If we are interested in presenting your work as a Saturday Series, the Network Director will contact you!
Current Network Members
Click the button below to view our current listed of Network Playwrights! (more information will be added soon)
Register now for this Ten Minute Play class, open exclusively
7 Tuesdays 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Mar 02 – Apr 13
Instructor: Neil Blackadder
Get your next 10 minute play ready for our Second Annual Network 10 Minute Play Festival! As always, this festival is open exclusively to Network Members. This year the festival will take place on July 10, 2021. Submissions open April 1, and close April 30. Details of the Festival will be released later in the year! Sign up for this class below, and take your work to the next level!
How do you tell a complete and satisfying story in only ten minutes? This class, offered exclusively to Network Members is a deep dive into the intricacies and nuances of writing in this precise, compact form. Explore the many elements of the ten minute play, including structure, character motivation, diction, and more from acclaimed director and translator Neil Blackadder.
This course is ideal for writers at the intermediate and advanced levels.
This class is available to Chicago Dramatists Network Members only.
Questions And Comments
Any questions about the Network Playwright Program should be directed to our Network Director, Ean Miles Kessler. Fill out the contact form below, and he will be sure to respond as soon as possible.