Open to playwrights of every level, the Network Playwright Program is available to any writer who has the desire to advance their skills, plays, and careers, through a vibrant professional development program. With a wide array of opportunities to have your newest play read, critiqued, and presented to the public, the Network Playwright Program is a wonderful next step in the career of any dramatic writer.
- Network Reading Series: This public staged reading series lies at the bedrock of what we do here at Chicago Dramatists. Professional directors and actors present scripts, written by Network members and selected by Script Lab reviewers. Between 7 – 10 spots in our Saturday Reading Series will be reserved specifically for exceptional Network talent. Selected playwrights will have their full length plays presented here at the Russ Tutterow Theater.
- Ten Minute Play Festival: This annual staged reading of 10-minute plays is made up entirely of Network writers. These plays will also be helmed by professional directors and presented by professional actors, and will premiere on the Russ Tutterow stage.
- Script Lab Critiques: Members may submit 1 play to be critiqued and reviewed by a Resident playwright, a Resident alum, or other theatre professional. This is a direct, efficient way to get the feedback you need, to take your script to the next level. Work must be submitted for critique before being eligible for selection as a part of the Network Reading Series, or Ten Minute Play Festival.
- First Draft Series: Bi-monthly meetings of Network members to read and critique each other’s work, in a safe, peer-setting. Guided by a theater professional, members have the option to invite guests of their choosing on the night of their reading. These readings are a tremendous opportunity to have work seen and read by the Network community.
- Discounts & Free Admission: Members receive numerous discounts, including $25 off classes and other services (including room rentals for rehearsal space or table reads!) Network members can also attend certain Chicago Dramatists events at no cost.
- Social Events & Networking Opportunities: Join in at get-togethers, parties, and other social events. There will be social mixers wherein Network members will meet and mingle with other theater professionals, (directors, dramaturgs, actors, and more), in the hopes of fostering collaboration and fresh projects.
Current Network Members
Click the button below to view our current listed of Network Playwrights! (more information will be added soon)
If you are interested in becoming a Network Playwright, fill out the contact form below, and if there is availability our Network Director Ean Kessler will get your membership squared away.