Add to the canon of great American Musicals.
Spring Classes at Chicago Dramatists are here and will remain online! Chicago Dramatists is offering more classes than ever before so you can go “back to school” in a wide range of new and returning classes. We happily accept students from all around the world and invite you stay in with us and create your next great work. Take the leap and join us here at Chicago Dramatists.
Craft your musical through collaboration, craft, and supreme dedication. Award winning teachers will guide you with razor-sharp expertise, as you build your musical story. Sign up and give voice to the story in you.
Choose the class that suits you and click on the class’s name to go to the details page.
Please Note: Network Playwrights receive $25 off all class registrations, but you must be logged into your account for the discount to be applied. This also includes discounts for Resident Playwrights and Tutterow Fellows. You will be prompted to login when attempting to register. If you do not know how to get into your account, enter the email associated with your account under “Forgot Your Password” and an account reset will be sent.
Writing the Ten Minute Musical
6 Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm CST
Apr 10 – Jun 05
Instructor: Cheri Coons & J. Sebastian Fabál
Learn advanced musical theatre storytelling techniques by creating original work in this compact, ten minute form. Writers and/or writing teams will create a 10 minute musical inspired by open-ended prompts. You’ll share work in class every week, culminating in a workshop with actors and a director in the final class sessions. Sign up with your collaborator and share a discounted course fee, or sign up as an individual writer or composer and create work on your own, or pair with other writers in the class to create work!
The Early Bird Registration Discount is not applicable for this course. Network Discounts still apply.
This course is ideal for writers at intermediate and advanced levels.
Writing Music for Musical Theatre
7 Wednesdays 6:00pm – 9:00pm CST
May 05 – Jun 19
Instructor: Diana Lawrence
This 7-week course offers composers and songwriters an exploration of the craft of composition for musical theatre. Participants will gain creative and structural tools for dramatic songwriting by both studying existing work and developing work of their own. Appropriate for songwriters and composers at all career stages, each class session includes a balance of new course content presented by the instructor, and the chance for writers to present their own work. While weekly assignments will focus on the creation of new music, the class will also give participants the opportunity to share work from existing projects and present revisions of previous work for response.
This class is ideal for students with experience ranging from beginner to advanced.
Chicago Dramatists Class Fee Policies
- If you cancel your registration more than three weeks in advance of the class start date, you will be entitled to either a full refund of your money or a full credit applied to your account for future CD classes.
- If you cancel your registration less than than three weeks but more than ten days before the class start date, you will be entitled to a full credit applied to your account (minus a $20 administrative fee). However, there will be no refunds.
- If you cancel your registration fewer than ten days but more than three days before the class start date, you will be entitled to 50% of your class fee (minus a $20 administrative fee) applied to your account as a credit.
- If you cancel your registration less than three days before the class start date, there is unfortunately neither a credit nor refund option available.
- Failure to pay fee or arrange payment schedule within 48 hours of registration will result in cancellation of registration.
- Classes that fail to meet the 50% minimum registrant requirement within 48 hours of class start time will be cancelled. In this case, registrants will receive a 100% refund.
- Separate discounts cannot be combined.