Add to the canon of great American Musicals.
Chicago Dramatists is offering more classes than ever before so you can go “back to school” in a wide range of new and returning classes. All courses will remain online for the time being, and we happily accept students from all around the world, inviting you stay in with us and create your next great work. Have your writing workshopped and seen this season; take the leap and join us here at Chicago Dramatists.
Craft your musical through collaboration, craft, and supreme dedication. Award winning teachers will guide you with razor-sharp expertise, as you build your musical story. Sign up and give voice to the story in you.
Choose the class that suits you and click on the class’s name to go to the details page.
Please Note: Network Playwrights receive $25 off all class registrations, but you must be logged into your account for the discount to be applied. This also includes discounts for Resident Playwrights and Tutterow Fellows. You will be prompted to login when attempting to register. If you do not know how to get into your account, enter the email associated with your account under “Forgot Your Password” and an account reset will be sent.
6 Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm
Jan 16 – Feb 20
Sold out! Sign up now for the waitlist!
Musical theatre is one of the most lively and complex forms of theatrical storytelling. This course offers participants a big picture perspective on the elements of structure and craft that create dynamic music-driven stories. Experienced writers will gain new insights and tools for refining their work while sharing work from their musicals-in-progress. Newcomers to musical theatre writing will gain an overall understanding of the demands of the form, plus the confidence to present original work for feedback in a supportive class atmosphere.
This course is ideal for writers of every level: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
Chicago Dramatists Class Fee Policies
- If you cancel your registration more than three weeks in advance of the class start date, you will be entitled to either a full refund of your money or a full credit applied to your account for future CD classes.
- If you cancel your registration less than than three weeks but more than ten days before the class start date, you will be entitled to a full credit applied to your account (minus a $20 administrative fee). However, there will be no refunds.
- If you cancel your registration fewer than ten days but more than three days before the class start date, you will be entitled to 50% of your class fee (minus a $20 administrative fee) applied to your account as a credit.
- If you cancel your registration less than three days before the class start date, there is unfortunately neither a credit nor refund option available.
- Failure to pay fee or arrange payment schedule within 48 hours of registration will result in cancellation of registration.
- Classes that fail to meet the 50% minimum registrant requirement within 48 hours of class start time will be cancelled. In this case, registrants will receive a 100% refund.
- Separate discounts cannot be combined.