This fund is in memory of Resident Playwright, M.E.H. Lewis, and is intended to provide funds to assist playwrights with their artistic endeavors. Partial scholarships will be provided toward classes at Chicago Dramatists to further the education of Chicago area writers. The scholarship will cover 75% of the cost. There are also partial scholarships available for our Script Reviews.
The playwright must live within close proximity to Chicago in order to attend class. The committee will only consider writers living within 50 miles of the theater. All applicants must be 18 years or older to qualify.
There are 2 options for scholarship consideration:
- Option 1: New student — open only to students who have never taken a class at Chicago Dramatists previously. Please indicate this status in the application.
- Option 2: Returning Students — open only to students who are continuing their studies at Chicago Dramatists. Please indicate which class(es) were previously taken and with which teacher. The returning student must be in good standing and have successfully completed previous course requirements.
- Include your contact information (including address, phone number, and email address) and a brief biography.
- Please indicate if there is a particular class you are interested in taking.
- Provide an artistic statement: give insight on why this scholarship is valuable to your future as a playwright (do not exceed 1 page).
- Provide a writing sample; please do no exceed 10 pages (may be fewer than 10 pages).
Submissions will reopen in 2022.