In collaboration with Women’s Theatre Alliance, Chicago Dramatists is proud to present a staged reading of Jordan Marie Ford’s newest play American Carnage. Join us on Monday, February 17 at 7pm here at the Russ Tutterow Theatre for this visceral and dynamic new play, by an incredible writer! This event is free and open to the public. Seating is first come, first served, and donations are welcome. Drinks are available, with a $4 suggested donation. Reserve your spot by clicking here.
Synopsis: Late spring, 1865. Kind of. A recently freed slave and the son of her owners want to get hitched, if you want to keep it simple. America the beautiful has always required the oppressed to double think. What happens when we haven’t made as much progress as we thought we had?
About Jordan: Jordan Marie Ford is a transplant from Texas where she graduated from the BFA Acting program at Texas State University. As a trained actor she is fighting back imposter syndrome to say she’s very excited to workshop this play. She is an early-career playwright, with her plays Five Men Wearing the Same Suit premiering at the Texas State University MainStage, and Amherst, Maine premiering at her theatre company The Sarah Street Collective’s Ten Minute Fool’s Festival. She was also a finalist for the KCACTF Region Six Ten Minute Play competition, for her play Afterlife.
About The Women’s Theatre Alliance: Founded in 1992, The Women’s Theatre Alliance of Chicago is a membership organization devoted to supporting, promoting and showcasing Chicago’s female theatre artists. WTA has five programs which make up the core of their organization. They are:
- The Actors’ Scene Showcase spotlights the work of WTA members for an audience of agents, casting directors and other theatre professionals. The 2016 Actors’ Scene Showcase Showcase dates will be announced in late September.
- The Enrichment Workshop Series consists of workshops designed to inspire the mind, body and spirit of theatre artists.
- The New Play Development Workshop is a six month workshop that pairs playwrights with directors and actors in the process of developing a new play.
- The New Play Festival showcases new plays by female playwrights. The New Play Festival showcases the NPDW playwrights; our next showcase will be held on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at Stage 773.
- The Salon Series promotes women’s leadership in the Chicago theatre community and provides a unique network for theatre artists to share in their artistic diversity.
The Women’s Theatre Alliance is committed to:
- Facilitating the development of dramatic works with, by and about women.
- Promoting women’s leadership in the Chicago theatre community.
- Providing a unique network of theatre artists and share in their diversity.
- Creating artistic opportunities for theatre artists.
Women’s Theatre Alliance & Chicago Dramatists Present:
American Carnage by Jordan Marie Ford
Monday Feb. 17 at 7:00pm
Russ Tutterow Theatre (1105 West Chicago Ave)