Chicago Dramatists is the only comprehensive playwright development center of its kind in Chicago. We give playwrights an artistic home no matter where they are in their development. Our award-winning playwrights are regularly produced in Chicago, on Broadway and at regional theaters throughout the country. Our playwrights are also shaping writers’ rooms in LA, sending our Chicago stories to living rooms across the world.
For 40 years, Chicago Dramatists has supported playwrights at all levels of development – from apprentices of the craft, to masters. Workshops, readings, classes, and special programs, provide opportunities for beginning and established dramatists to develop their work, expand their professional affiliations, showcase their plays and collaborate with actors, directors, and audiences during the creative process.
Chicago Dramatists is an inclusive community dedicated to nurturing dramatic writers at every stage of their evolution. We are committed to dynamic exchange and experimentation, leading to new and innovative works for the American stage and screen.
Statement of Values
Everyone involved or associated with Chicago Dramatists, including the board, volunteers, staff, playwrights, associate artists, actors, directors, producers, teachers, and students assumes the responsibility of representing Chicago Dramatists’ values in words and action. This includes:
1. Believing in the mission to support the development of new plays and new playwrights.
2. Meeting high standards of honesty and integrity in every task and interaction.
3. Instilling and supporting a positive, supportive and collaborative work environment.
4. Maintaining high levels of respect for people regardless of sex, creed, ethnicity, identity or sexual orientation, which prohibits bullying or intimidation of any form.
5. Instilling a no-bullying and no-intimidation policy for the board, the staff, the resident playwrights, playwright alumni, associate artists, teachers and any and all actors and directors of readings and productions with which we are associated.
6. Embracing diversity and actively supporting Chicago Dramatists nondiscrimination policies.
7. Treating each other with respect and refraining from making disparaging remarks about other members in the community.
8. Safeguarding Chicago Dramatists assets, its reputation and the reputation of its artists.
The Resident Playwright program is a selective program offered at no cost to playwrights who demonstrate talent and dedication to the craft of playwriting. But we also believe that to discover untapped talent and nurture playwriting as a discipline, we need to embrace playwrights wherever they are on their writing path. Click the link above to see our current Resident Playwrights.
Our Network Playwright Program has just relaunched! The Network Playwrights are a group of dedicated artists who have paid to get a wide number of perks at Chicago Dramatists including a Script Lab, class discounts, and the potential to be a part of our Saturday Reading Series. Click the link above to learn more about the Network Playwright Program.
The Tutterow Fellowship is named after the late Russ Tutterow, the first and 30-year artistic director of Chicago Dramatists. The program honors Mr. Tutterow’s commitment to identifying and nurturing talent that might not otherwise get the opportunity to grow – all free of charge. Designed to support the emergent playwright, this two-year fellowship emphasizes training, practice and mentorship. Ideal candidates display significant potential for developing their craft, their voice and their network of collaborators during their fellowship at Chicago Dramatists. Our goal is to include historically under-represented voices, including writers of color, LGBTQIA, differently-abled, and/or neuro-divergent. Click the buttons below to learn about the Tutterow Fellows and see our current Tutterow Fellows.
To learn more about Chicago Dramatists or get in touch with us, click one of the buttons below!
Drop us a line!
1105 W Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60624